Thursday, August 23, 2007

Comcast sucks just as much in Boston as in Portland

Oh. My. God.

Yes, that was supposed to sound like Janis on Friends. Because while I was supposed to get cable and internet a week ago, I finally got it today. So, since I had nothing to watch because I had no cable and no "rabbit ears" to get any regular tv, I chose to watch my Friends DVDs. And while I enjoyed watching them because it is my favorite show, I would rather have a Friends marathon by choice, not out of necessity.

Now, you may be wondering why my cable was a week late. Well, Comcast chose to send me the most incompetent installer ever, and then every time I tried to call them and get someone else to come out, they essentially sided with him and made up BS answers as to why he couldn't find the other end of the cable line.

So the story is, the incompetent installer came out, went and looked a couple times for where to turn on the cable, fiddled around for about 20 minutes, and then said he couldn't find it and so I had to be rewired, said there was nothing he could do, and then gathered up all his stuff and left. I was very confused so I called Comcast. They told me that the installer said it needed to be rewired and that an electrician had to do it.

So I told my building manager. She was confused as to why it needed to be rewired so she called the previous tenant and asked him if he had cable. He did, with Comcast, and he had it right up until he moved out at the end of July. So when I call Comcast and tell them this, do they immediately apologize for the installer's mistake and send someone else out? No! They tell me that the installer couldn't find the "home line" and that means the wire has been cut in the wall and so an electrician needs to do something called "wall fishing" and find where the cut is and repair it. While I didn't believe them, I didn't necessarily know if something had happened that could have cut the wire so I called my building manager again. She said that there's no way the wire could have been cut so clearly they're just trying to give me BS answers rather than admit they screwed up. Just to be sure she sent the maintenance guy up to look, and he said everything is fine and he called Comcast for me and told them he checked everything out and there's nothing wrong. So that's when they finally made the appointment to send a new installer.

Now here's the real kicker. The new installer came this morning, and he told me that the cable was ALREADY ON. He didn't have to go turn anything on, all he had to do was hook the wire up to the wall and set up the cable box. So I have no idea what the first installer's problem was! And besides that, I could have put a cable wire from the wall to the TV and had at least basic cable the whole time! True, no internet and very few channels, but still. So next time I move I'm just going to hook the TV up to the cable outlet in the wall and just see if it's already on. And then all I have to do is wait for the digital cable stuff and the internet stuff.

Anyways. That's my lame Comcast story.

-Bridgete-