Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Toast to Bridgete

Bridgete mentioned the toast I made at her party a few weeks ago. This is the gist of what I said then - and I still mean every word of it.

August 1982 - 25 years ago. I was 22, starting my last year in college, and pregnant. I was absolutely terrified of being a mother. I knew the kind of mother I wanted to be, but I had no idea what kind of mother I WOULD be. Well, 8 months later, after several hours of unproductive labor and a c-section, I had a daughter. Bridgete. She was absolutely perfect. Beautiful olive skin, 8lbs. 15oz., 10 fingers and toes, a hard head (literally and figuratively) and dark brown eyes. I fell head over heels in love with her.

I became a mother. And because I was very, very lucky, I got a daughter who would teach me how to be HER mother. I still don't know what kind of mother I would be to anyone else. But for Bridgete - I learned how to be her mother. She has been the greatest teacher in my life. From her I learned patience and laughter and joy and most of all, love. The kind of love that can change your life. The best kind of love.

Now I'm driving with her to Boston - 3000 miles away from me - so that she can start to pursue her dream. I know that life has much more to teach her. And I know that she has much more to teach me. I'm looking forward to this next phase of both our lives. I know it will be filled with many lessons, some heartaches and great joys. I am confident that Bridgete is doing exactly what she should be doing and I have no doubt that she will be a great lawyer. I am so very proud to have been chosen to be her mother. I am proud of the woman she has made me.

I'm going to miss her so very much. Thank goodness for the internet and email and chat rooms and doing the NY Sunday Times crossword puzzle together online. I know there will be many trips back and forth. And that the love we share will only grow stronger. Now we'll see just how far love can go.